[antlr-interest] Any plans of next ANTLR Release

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Fri Apr 30 18:32:51 PDT 2010

On Apr 30, 2010, at 6:28 PM, Jim Idle wrote:

> I think we have a lot more scope in this  space than we ever had. Technology moves and we can too. The nearer the machine the better the performance but it isn't always the lowest level you code at that counts.
>
> At this very simple vm level I can code assembler better than the c compiler but beyond this it needs computation that humans cannot do in any practical time. So a simple vm and we get nearer the machine. I really like this path.

Me too. i just finished doing nongreedy loops

CMT : '/*' (options {greedy=false;}:.)* '*/' ;

I need to add rule invocations, which renders this effectively an LL(*) VM.

It then makes you wonder about using the VM to do backtracking in LL(*) parser prediction.  It would avoid all that "if backtracking" around each action since the VM would do all prediction. it's sweeet :)  I wish i could type in code faster. ;)  i can barely sleep at night, this VM stuff is so cool.  That says a lot after 30 years of coding.

Ter