[antlr-interest] Syntax- highlighter and completition

Nieves.Salor.Moral at esa.int Nieves.Salor.Moral at esa.int
Tue Aug 17 00:18:07 PDT 2010

Hi everyone!

Sorry for not answering before, but I have been studying your answers and
making a trade-off list about them. At the end, I am going to use the
netbeans plugging for integrating ANTLR, although I wanted a stand-alone
application as I already had the SWING custom interface (IDE like) running
via Eclipse, so I only needed to call in background the process of ANTLR
validation and show the results of the validation in the console window.
But I don't think it is going to be complicated to import it into eclipse
as I used custom libraries.

After I finish with the prototype I will let you know, 'cos my final goal
is to create the desktop application without requiring Netbeans, Eclipse
to be installed in the computer just JAVA, so it also can be embedded into
other projects.

Nieves

"Paul Bouché (NSN - DE, Berlin)" <paul.bouche at nsn.com>
13/08/2010 10:34

ext Andreas Stefik <stefika at gmail.com>
cc
Nieves.Salor.Moral at esa.int, antlr-interest at antlr.org
Subject
Re: [antlr-interest] Syntax- highlighter and completition

Hi,

so this is really interesting. Do you know if the text editing components
are available standalone from NetBeans - I heard such a thing?

BR,
Paul

ext Andreas Stefik schrieb:
Hi there,

Another option you have is to use the NetBeans platform for these
editor tasks. Basically, you keep a list of whatever you want (e.g.,
what methods have been parsed, what variables, tokens), and you pass
them to the platform's APIs specifically designed for parsing,
highlighting, etc. All of the threading/highlighting/user interface
work is done for you, is commercially scalable, and works extremely
well behind the scenes.

Like anything, it isn't trivial to do, but the APIs for parsing/code
completion/syntax highlighting are pretty straightforward and there
are tutorials online on how to do it with ANTLR. Here's one, for
example:

http://wiki.netbeans.org/Netbeans_Rcp_Antlr_Integration_Index

Hope that helps,

Andreas Stefik