[antlr-interest] Newbie, rapidly losing mind

cdellima at paragenic.org cdellima at paragenic.org
Wed Feb 10 20:05:28 PST 2010

Hi, I am relatively new to ANTLR but I have to make a custom-built grammar
file for the Java language. I am having trouble with a rule for which I
get a

rule arrayInstantiation has non-LL(*) decision due to recursive rule
invocations reachable from alts 1,2.  Resolve by left-factoring or using
syntactic predicates or using backtrack=true option.

To identify the cause of the trouble, I am taking the approach of removing
things from my grammar until the thing compiles again. Problem is, I've
got it to compile but I've removed a rule that wasn't actually invoked in
another rule. I do not understand this. Should I be surprised? If I
comment this rule out, my grammar builds. But if I leave the rule (that
isn't invoked anywhere and should be impossible to reach) uncommented then
my build fails.