[antlr-interest] setting k Value Versus Predicates

Gokulakannan Somasundaram gokul007 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 19:55:08 PST 2010

> With ANTLR 3, the default is k='*' and it is best not to set k.  Syntactic
> predicates are still needed to disambiguate decisions with potentially
> infinite lookahead (usually due to recursion or looping).

I can't understand the statement  "It is best not  to set k". Say there are
left factoring opportunities, which we won't come to know, unless it is
thrown as an error(after setting k)...

I think, you are assuming that the grammar cannot be left factored further.
Or are you saying there is no difference in performance between LL(*) and
LL(1)? Please clarify.

Thanks,
Gokul.