[antlr-interest] Parser generation takes hours

Jean-Pierre LAMBERT jp.raven at worldonline.fr
Wed Jan 6 13:42:35 PST 2010

Well, now that I succeeded to get passed the problem... I don't know if
there is a bug or not.

Looking at LL parser theory, it may not be that surprising --
combinatory explosions when building an LL parser who needs more
left-factorizations.

Besides I'm working on a quite big grammar and that probably plays a
role here. ANTLR probably handles such rules quite well on not-so big
grammars.

Finally, all this mess occured on a non-working grammar. So I have the
feeling that it's not that big an issue for the user.

Well, one entry in some FAQ for people migrating LR parsers to ANTLR
would have done the trick, I'd say.

If I have just been reassured that fixing the left-factorization would
have solved the problem, I'd simply worked on left-factorizing my
grammar and stopped worrying. In absence of any advice on the matter I
kind of panicked instead. :-)

JP