[antlr-interest] Factorization of Logic Expressions

Joseph Areeda newsreply at areeda.com
Thu Mar 18 08:59:00 PDT 2010

I'm confused (not an abnormal condition)

If I understand it, you start with a logical expression, parse, factor
then save it. The question is how to recover the original, right?

If that is the problem, I'd say it is impossible. The original parse
operation is a many to one transform as is the factoring. So given a
factored expression, I don't see a way to choose among the many possible
original expressions.

If I am understanding what you're trying to do, it would seem you have a
couple of choices:
You could define some sort of canonical expression ie: factored, or
expanded and call it "equivalent" or you can save additional information
on the transforms you have done to arrived at the factored.

Good luck,
Joe