[antlr-interest] Tutorial... actuala use?

Zachary Palmer zep_antlr at bahj.com
Sun Nov 7 17:16:58 PST 2010

Tenaja,

By default, the generated ANTLR grammar is just a recognizer: it will
throw an exception in the presence of a string not in the grammar and it
will terminate normally in the presence of a string in the grammar.  To
get more output from ANTLR (such as an AST), you probably want to set
"output=..." in the options section of your grammar.  For an informal
discussion of "output=AST", try
http://www.antlr.org/wiki/display/ANTLR3/Tree+construction .  For more
detailed information, there is a relatively inexpensive book ("The
Definitive ANTLR Reference") that you can buy in electronic form.

For more examples, you might try taking a glance at some of the grammars
on the ANTLR site (http://www.antlr.org/grammar/list).  There's also a
somewhat non-standard approach that I've been forced to use (due to some
strange constraints in my project) which is illustrated by the ANTLR
grammar used in a branch of the OpenJDK project in which each rule
explicitly returns the values that it needs (which are then set by
grammar actions).

Cheers,

Zach