[antlr-interest] Am I right here? :-) Generating GUIs from a Grammar

Ben Senior ben at autonomic.net
Thu Apr 21 02:26:50 PDT 2011

Hello, I really hope that some kind person can point me in the right
direction, or warn me off my plans....

Is ANTLR/ANTLRWorks appropriate for automatically generating a GUI for
sentence construction based on an arbitrary grammar?

I'm sick of generating "admin" GUI's by hand for new projects.
Generating GUI's from models (like in Ruby on Rails) is ok, but not
cross-platform or particularly powerful.

Recently, I had one of those "epiphanies" where it became clear that I
can model most problems *much* more clearly using a Grammar.

The next logical step would be to help users visually construct valid
sentences from the definition of that Grammar - but the tool that helps
them do that should be generated as automatically as possible from the
given grammar.

The basic outline would be to offer the user an empty tree starting with
the root node.  It would be obvious from each node in the tree, which
nodes the user can then "instanciate".  Each instantiated node then
displays which further nodes/rules can be instanced, and when a rule is
found for which (in another file) I have specified a "configuration
class" the user can then set the various knobs and dials I provide in
that configuration class (e.g. values, lists, and other primitives which
become terminals).

Although I've been programming for decades, I've only really just
started playing with LEX/YACC/ANTLR in the last few days - and been
bitterly regretting that I haven't been using them for years!

Has this already been done?  Is it doable?  Am I pursuing the right path
with ANTLR?  I prostrate myself before your superior collective wisdom! :-)

Tx Ben