[antlr-interest] Really big generated C lexer?

Chris McConnell chrimc at microsoft.com
Thu Apr 21 17:01:28 PDT 2011

The issue was with GUID, but not b/c of the precision of the Lexer rules.   It might make sense to make them more general, but the real issue is that GUID and BAG overlap.  If I simply change the '{' on GUID to '#{' the lexer file goes from 10mb to 145k.   What led me to this was that the DATETIME rule is actually more complex than the GUID one, but it didn't affect the size much.  Because of the overlap, there seemed to be some multiplicative effect in the DFA.

GUID: '{' HEX_BYTE HEX_BYTE HEX_BYTE HEX_BYTE
      '-' HEX_BYTE HEX_BYTE
      '-' HEX_BYTE HEX_BYTE
      '-' HEX_BYTE HEX_BYTE
      '-' HEX_BYTE HEX_BYTE HEX_BYTE HEX_BYTE HEX_BYTE HEX_BYTE
      '}'
;