[antlr-interest] Using ANTLR in Visual C# 2010 Express?

leodido leodido99 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 00:40:41 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I'm wondering if it is possible to use ANTLR with the free version Visual C#
2010 Express?
I'm really confused about now because I found two different "guides":

http://www.antlr.org/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=557075# and
http://www.tunnelvisionlabs.com/downloads/antlr/ANTLRCSharpDocumentation-9004.xps

I tried following both and none of them works.

I have an issue while following the ANTLRCSharpDocumentation-9004.xps guide
because apparently you can't install all types of extension in the version
of Visual Studio I'm using. It says This extension is not installable on any
currently installed products. Also I can't seem to find the line in my .sln
file that needs to be modified.

I haven't even done anything in my code and it won't compile giving me
errors. (ie. The type or namespace name 'GrammarRuleAttribute' could not be
found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) OR The
type or namespace name 'String' could not be found (are you missing a using
directive or an assembly reference?))

I generated my cs files using antlrworks-1.4.3.jar and target CSharp2 and
CSharp3 (Which target should I use?) and using the C Grammar file available
on the ANTLR page (just added the line language = 'CSharp2'; and
output=AST;)

Could a generous soul come to my rescue? I'd also be willing to write a
small document to clearly describe how to use ANTLR with C# if I ever
succeed into doing so :p

Thanks in advance.