[antlr-interest] urgent help required ...

James Ladd james_ladd at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 27 00:03:17 PST 2011

Hi Bart and all ....

The main no viable alternative errors occur around line 25 of Smalltalk.g
in the rule:

method returns [Method n]

 :    o = NAME c= '_class_'? '>>'  messagePattern '[' primitive?
temporaries? statements  ']' {$n = MethodFactory.create($o.text,
$c.text, $messagePattern.n, $primitive.n, $temporaries.n,
$statements.n);}
    ;

To get started with building and
parsing you can either use Antrl works or the getting started here:
http://www.redline.st/discover/getting-started.html
The project sources are here:  https://github.com/redline-smalltalk/redline-smalltalk

In  a nutshell there are a few binarySymbol methods that cause this rule to break with a "no viable" alternative.

If you goto the file Magnitude.st and change line 14 from

- \> aMagnitude

- > aMagnitude

You will then start to get the error.

If you were to make the line

- , aMagnitude

That will cause the error as well and it should not.

The second error I get is on the same rule. Essentially I changed the file PreProcessor.g to spit out a
'_class_' rather than 'class' to overcome a no viable alternative error I was getting. Id like to make sure
the preprocessor did NOT put out _class_ and that the method pattern rule on line 25 of Smalltalk.g
was ok with 'o = NAME c= 'class'? '>>'  messagePattern'

Not it is ok for a method to look like the following:

- class
  ^ nil

You could modify Magnitude.st to have a method like this for testing.

Rgs, James.