[antlr-interest] Error message requires key press to continue

Ranco Marcus ranco.marcus at epirion.nl
Mon Feb 7 00:25:44 PST 2011

Hi all!

We are working on an ANTLR tree grammar in which a syntax tree is created manually instead of by an ANTLR parser. We hand edit the TOKEN file and found out that if the last line does not end with a newline, ANTLR emits an error message "problems parsing vocabulary file...".

Although the error message is unnecessary, it causes no problems. The problem we are experiencing however is that a key press is needed to return to the command prompt. Since we are calling ANTLR from a custom tool in Visual Studio, the entire development environment freezes and ultimately crashes our IDE.

We haven't seen this key press behavior in other error messages and are wondering if it can be removed.

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Ranco Marcus