[antlr-interest] what would ANTLR ref guide revised edition have?

bill punch punch at cse.msu.edu
Tue Feb 15 17:55:09 PST 2011

Let me say that I really like ANTLR and have been using both books
extensively. Thus I hope this is taken as constructive criticism.

I think what Ray is saying is what I've been running into. I'm teaching
the Compiler's class (for the first time) and using the ANTLR reference
book. It has been a bit of a struggle to get things in an order that I
think they can easily assimilate. I want to focus on the higher-level
issues and less on the details of the underlying programming, until it
has to be addressed. For example, the progression so far has been :
lexer/parser for a simple language, output an AST for that simple
language, now interpret (AST->Java Tree Walker) with global scope, no
functions. Next I hope is language with scope, then probably translation
to (probably) Java bytecode using templates. Each project adds a little
more of the language, so we have something at the end. I'm working with
Logo at the moment, with some Java/Swing for the turtle.

What I've found is that I need something in-between the two books. The
reference book has most of the stuff I need, but a bit spread around and
with what seems like a lot of detail in between. The LIP has far too
much detail in many ways, which makes getting the point across difficult.

As with Ray, I would prefer a better progression like the LIP book, but
at a level above the Java details that come up. One can go quite a ways
without having to write a lot of Java, and then it can be introduced
slowly. They didn't really have to write much Java till the interpreter,
and even then I took the Pie example and stripped out most of the scope
stuff (took out functions, error checking) to get down to a basic
skeleton. I think a lot of that material could have been discussed
(Symbol, Scope, resolve, etc.) at a higher level and then shown
implemented in Java. I think a lot of the details get caught up in the
language and it really shouldn't have to.

If done as described, I suppose it would be easier to get other targets
in, though I think if the concepts are clear and one implementation is
provided, others would be easily done (perhaps as appendicies).

Anyway, it has been something I've been thinking about.