[antlr-interest] generating C code from g3pl file for 64 bit linux

Jim Idle jimi at temporal-wave.com
Fri Feb 25 09:01:18 PST 2011

1) What file is this and from where?
2) These days you can just rename it to a .g file, the extension names
were because older versions of Visual Studio needed it to see what the
output files were but that isn't relevant any more.
3) The generated C is the same on all platforms and there is nothing
special to do to generate 64 but, 32 bit, Linux, Win32, Solaris etc. In
fact it is designed so that you can generate the C on one platform and
compile it on any. I had to do that because HPUX Java (and HPUX in
general) sucks and could not even run the ANTLR tool jar without patching
the kernel.

So, just like any other file you run the ANTLR tool on it and it will give
you a .c and .h file. The generated files are both 32 and 64 bit
compatible but if you read the docs for the C runtime it will point you at
./configure --help where you will see a flag that you supply to build the
libraries in 64 bit mode.

As to searching all over the interweb, look at the API documentation link
on the ANTLR home page and remember antlr.markmail.org as per the link on
the support page.

Jim