[antlr-interest] antlr v4 wish list

Gary Miller gary at sumwise.com
Tue Mar 22 18:19:53 PDT 2011

Terence,

As I have mentioned I'm newish to Antlr.
I think that means that only now I'm starting to do things the "proper" way.

Here are a couple of items that I would have on a wish list.
Please let me know which of them are simply from a newbee perspective
and just ignore the one that are already on the wish list.

- Access to override rules, particularly in tree grammars.
  As discussed in
http://www.antlr.org/pipermail/antlr-interest/2011-March/041052.html

- The ability to have actions on the right side of an ast re-write operator.
  I remember this confusing me as the same syntax is used for actions
and Creating Nodes with Arbitrary Actions, but they have different
sematics
  An example of using this would allow for collecting symbols during
parsing or action during tree walking with AST output or rewriting.

- A different rule @init that only executes during when not backtracking.

- The ability to detect / work with an empty scope.
  Currently attempts to access an empty scope throws a stack exception (in Java)

- Lexing (this is still the most confusing aspect of parsing for me)
  - Case insensitive lexing.
    I know this is possible, and I currently do with info from
http://www.antlr.org/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=1782

  - Block lexing options, ala Jyhton's PythonTokenSource and lexer in Python.g

  - The ability to dynamically change the channel tokens go to
      or
    The ability tack hidden token to the end of the last visible token.

Regards
Gary