[antlr-interest] Q: move from v2 to v3 parser grammar. Rewrite tree rule

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Wed Mar 23 05:41:05 PDT 2011

On 3/23/11 1:54 AM, "Jim Idle" <jimi at temporal-wave.com> wrote:

Hi Jim,

> You can do it the same way in v3, but when you generate the code, ANTLR
> will make up token names and you won't be able to write a good error
> display routine/handler because you won't know the tokens. You will just
> have T23 or something like that, and then you can't do anything
> interesting. So, you don't HAVE to, but it is neater when you come to do
> certain things.

Aha, I see.
Yes we have see that T23 a lots in generated code ..

Interesting ... In v2 names of tokens was shown correctly
Right?

In v3 probably was some changes in architecture,
Which prevent from this nice automatic feature ..

Hmm. Actually it is not good, when a newer version loose nice features.
:-)

Again, thank you very much Jim for points.

==========
Before click SEND button have come strange [and OPTIONAL] question to mind.

If v3 was designed to support old AST operators ^ !
And new re-write rules (ok for new)

But why was trashed feature of  ## = (IMAGE_TOKEN, ##) ?
    picture is broken.
    two operators self cannot resolve all tasks ..

If it was not touched, then porting was much easier I think.

Or I do not see big idea behind of this step?

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin
VP Engineering and New Technology