[antlr-interest] Using Tree Interface not plain Object

Sam Harwell sharwell at pixelminegames.com
Sun Sep 4 13:31:13 PDT 2011

The new interfaces aren't required across the board, but would be used for
the vast majority of situations. By specifying the "ASTLabelType=xxxxx;" and
"TreeAdaptorType=yyyyy;" options, you could override the entire system.

This restructuring primarily affects the arguments and return values from
various methods in the Tree and TreeAdaptor interfaces. Also, the new
interfaces are MUCH simpler than they used to be. Methods which alter the
tree are all moved to and unified in the TreeAdaptor, and many of the
utility-type methods are moved to a new module instead of requiring every
tree implementation to implement them.

The previous interfaces were large, confusing (do you call tree.addChild or
treeAdaptor.addChild?), and severely restricted my ability to create generic
trees and a general purpose tree visualizer (similar to STViz but for parse
results).

Sam