[antlr-interest] Re : incremental

Rampon Jerome ramponjerome at yahoo.fr
Fri Sep 30 12:40:44 PDT 2011

I agree with your approach.
As AST from ANTLR is somewhere a dependency graph, I imagined originally we could compare a second run over a bunch of input files (vs previous AST more or less automated) to get new AST with modified or non modified info  added so that any tree parser actions could use directly for its own caching.
ANTLR keeps track of line and column, it could keep track of input stream+timestamps.
Idea was also to propagate info at each node level and not only file level.
I can do it with an ASTcompare + inputstream & timestamp data ... by my own or at a lower level in my application.
I wondered if anything in that sense could exist in ANTLR as I missed in doc. Apparently, there is nothing from you response.

Thanks

Jerome

Do you have a particular application where this approach would fail, but
incremental parsing within the file would succeed?

Sam