[antlr-interest] contemplating a move of mailing list to stackoverflow.com

Bart Kiers bkiers at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 11:36:37 PDT 2012

Hi Norman, list,

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 8:28 AM, Norman Dunbar <Norman at dunbar-it.co.uk>wrote:

> > Does anybody see any bears in the woods that I'm not? issues? those in
> favor?
> I'm much more of a user than contributor but I have to say  that I much
> prefer emails rather than having to go to a website and look for stuff,
> especially when I'm offline.

Off line, in this time and age? :)

At the moment, I have the entire ANTLR mailing list contents stored
> locally on my laptop, going back to when I subscribed - October 2011 -
> and I can search it easily without needing an internet connection.
>
> With the web site, there are 914 current questions - but I only see 15
> of them per screen. It looks nice, but I much prefer content to looks!

At the bottom of the list of ANTLR questions,
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/antlr , you can change the 15
into 30 or 50 (which will be saved, once logged in).

So, my vote is with the mailing list. (Sorry!)

> I am subscribed to a number of support lists - for work and pleasure -
> and by far the best ones, for me, are the ones where the contents hits
> my inbox without me doing anything, other than setting up a rule to move
> related stuff to the appropriate folder of course!

I can image the sentiment, especially if one does more reading than
answering, but if you do answer (I answer question at SO), SO is soooo much
more convenient! Decent syntax highlighting, Markdown-formatting, it's a
real joy! :)

Regards,

Bart.