[antlr-interest] Performance problem with $text in ANTLR 3.1

Richard Knox rich at dreambox.com
Tue Aug 21 18:26:49 PDT 2012

I recently upgraded an ANTLR based application from ANTLR 3.0.1 to ANTLR 3.1. Since doing this, our application has been running MUCH slower. I did some profiling with VisualVM and found that we were spending most of our time in TokenRewriteStream.getKindOfOps. We get there when we reference $text from a grammar with options output=template and rewrite=true. Are there known performance issues with this scenario in ANTRL 3.1? Would I get better perf with a later version? Any suggested work arounds? Thanks!

-rich