[antlr-interest] My Progress on C++ Target

Gokulakannan Somasundaram gokul007 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 00:18:45 PST 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 4:54 AM, Jim Idle <jimi at temporal-wave.com> wrote:

> If building on Windows, you need to compile with ALL warnings turned on,
> or you have no chance of getting gcc to compile code. Getting even C code
> to compile on all the different systems compilers without error is a
> mammoth task and you have to be very careful.
>
> That's why you should use C++ as just a better C and forget about
> templates and namespaces and all the other stuff that is not usually very
> cross compiler/system compliant. Wait until you try compilers like the one
> on HPUX.
>
> While the compatibility of C++ compilers improves all the time, it is not
> so great. Back when I used Ric's 2.x C++ target I had to port it to about
> 6 or 7 compilers - it was a terrible job and we seemed to be sending Ric
> patches all the time; and it had nothing to do with Ric's code.
>
> I think that the task of creating a C++ runtime target is being slightly
> underestimated.
>
> Jim

Jim,
     my goal is to test it out on MSVC and g++ and fix all the bugs. I am
trying not to use any modern features of C++. But templates are there for
quite some time and things have attained a lot of maturity. I could
complete the C++ runtime within the estimated time, but i am finding it
hard to even complete the .stg file for the parser. I will start  a new
thread listing out my issues. Your guidance on that would be greatly
valuable.

Thanks,
Gokul.