[antlr-interest] "Honey Badger" case insensitivity

Graham Wideman gwlist at grahamwideman.com
Sun Jan 1 05:08:21 PST 2012

From the 'v4 "Honey Badger" teaser' thread...

Ter said:
> Hi Graham and crew
Fortunately case insensitive

And Sam said:
> However, I will agree it's not that common these days.

I'm gonna rate this "[citation needed]" !

To assert "less common", you guys perhaps have some stats that show a dwindling square mileage of text in  HTML, SQL, PHP, Basic (including VBA), Delphi, Fortran, COBOL, spreadsheet formulas and others that are candidates for ANTLR-generated digesters?

Or info on trends in simple ASLs intended for non-programmer end-users, who generally regard strict case requirements as gratuitously frustrating?

Probably true that the steady parade of hip new programming languages leans heavily towards case-sensitive keywords and identifiers.  But I'm not convinced that represents the overall distribution of ANTLR opportunities.

By the way, nice one, Sam, suggesting Honey Badger could use more sugar :-)

Happy New Year all!

-- Graham