[antlr-interest] [stringtemplate-interest] anybody care to comment on bitbucket.org?

Kieran Simpson kierans777 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 16:35:45 PST 2012

On 23/07/64 5:59 AM, Terence Parr wrote:

> On Jan 9, 2012, at 2:11 PM, Barrie Treloar wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 5:33 AM, Terence Parr<parrt at cs.usfca.edu>  wrote:
>>> Contemplating switch to mercurial and hosting at bitbucket.org.
>>> Ter
>>
>> You've already got someone syncing to github.
>> Why not use that instead?
>
> I hate git… because I don't understand it ;) hg was easy and obvious.  mercurial works with intellij (well I hope) so it will be okay for me.

I've used both Git and Hg for complicated projects and Hg is easier to
understand, more intuitive (Git's syntax is really non-intuitive IMO),
better documented, has better tooling.  It's also easier to fix mistakes
in Hg than Git IMHO.  Once one can use MQ one has all the flexibility
one needs.

Hg also doesn't allow you to blow your leg off like Git does.  Hg at
least warns you first ;)

I also prefer Bitbucket over GitHub.

>> I'm new to both mercurial (1 project) and git (2+ projects).
>>>  From the small amount of reading I've done they appear to be on par,
>> with a slight leaning towards git.
>> Eclipse is moving to git.

The plugins for Eclipse/IntelliJ are quite good (I'm an Eclipse user,
some of my colleagues are IntelliJ)

>> Linux is git.
>> I'm not familiar enough with other big players that are using
>> mercurial. (Maybe the old sun sources...)
>>
>> I've used bitbucket and github.
>> Dont really have any opinions since my head space is still stuck in
>> svn and need more time/practice to get it out.
>> However I love the idea of
>> * git stash
>> * git bisect

Hg does have a bisect command, and there is the HgShelve extension that
is much like Git's stash feature.