[antlr-interest] Antlr v4 - C++ target

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Tue Jan 24 08:37:00 PST 2012

On 1/24/12 1:46 PM, "Ivan Brezina" <ibre5041 at ibrezina.net> wrote:

>>> Don't use templates.
>>>
>>> Sigh.
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>
>>> Jim,
>>     Have you had a look at Boost spirit parser? They have done the entire
>> thing with templates. I am only doing the runtime with templates. If you
>> are concerned with the compile time performance, i am assuring you that i
>> will limit the use of template not to stress the compiler.
>>      If there is something very obvious that i am missing, please let me
>> know.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Gokul.
>>

> Hi,
> I've been using spirit for about a year. Both versions "1" and "2".
> During that time I reported two bugs in gcc and then finally I moved
> to ANTLR.
>
> Templates are nice, but on the other hand they must not be overused.

I also  do not like templates too much.

Only when you have COPY of code you need to use them

Where you need absolute need in templates ?

Boost is not a good example.

As for me, we do not use STD and Boost in our big project,
But yes we have few places where templates was needed.

Boost is crazy on templates, but exists yet interfaces, classes, aggregation
and other OO techniques...

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin