[antlr-interest] Language Design

Dave Thomas opensource at peoplemerge.com
Tue Jan 31 13:35:27 PST 2012

Hi All,

I'm reading the Beautiful Architecture book by O'Reilly and came across
this: "a formal grammar consists of: a finite set N of nonterminal things;
a finite set T of terminal things; a finite set R of replacement rules; and
an initial thing S."

I know we're all involved in language implementation, but there hasn't been
much discussion on language design, an activity I need to do.  Can anyone
who has created a language from scratch point me to some practical
resources to get me started?  Yes, I've read the dragon book, I'm really
looking more for  a step-by-step from domain to DSL.  I'm prepared to study
linguistics if that's needed.

Thanks!
Dave