[antlr-interest] pass state from parser to lexer

Scobie Smith (Insight Global) v-scobis at microsoft.com
Mon Jul 2 12:30:28 PDT 2012

Thanks. Yes, here is the form of a statement in the language, which otherwise is context-free:

Statements always start at the beginning of a new line.
The <body>, though, may be multiline and have whitespace. But it cannot have the <delimiter> character in it.

Example:
exec mode #Here is
Some body text.
#

If I tokenize the <body> piecemeal, then the rest of the grammar is totally unmanageable. I need <body> as one token.
I could potentially try to detect this command in the lexer and manually emit tokens. That would in effect be implementing the parser rule for this command in the lexer.

(I have another, more complicated situation for another language, involving segments of text embedded in the main content, which follow different token rules. I am facing this almost every day now....)

Thanks for any insights.
Scobie