[antlr-interest] What triggers the generation of the getDelegates() method in a parser?

Nathaniel Waisbrot waisbrot at highfleet.com
Wed Jul 11 17:51:42 PDT 2012

This problem's stumping me and I'm not sure I can even describe the source of my confusion adequately.

I have two ANTLR-using projects in Eclipse, one using ANTLR IDE and one using the antlr3-maven-plugin the grammars are the same.  But in the ANTLR IDE project, the generated Java code for the grammar includes a method "getDelegates()", which provides a reference to an imported base-grammar.  In the antlr3-maven-plugin project, this method is not generated.

Both projects are using ANTLR 3.4

What causes ANTLR to generate that method?  What could I have set up differently between the two projects that would cause this difference?