[antlr-interest] pull requests at github

Kyle Ferrio kferrio at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 13:27:25 PDT 2012

I probably should eat lunch before I try to understand this, but here I
go...

I like.  Sounds easy enough that it will not be a barrier to use or
maintain.

It sounds like you envision multiple "simple text documents" for the
contrib license.  Or do you mean each project (antlr, stringtemplate, etc.)
would have it's own (versioned) contrib agreement?  I would think that each
project would have exactly one (versioned) contrib agreement which would
exist within the repo of its respective project.

So...when you refer to "the commit hash for that document" do you mean the
guid for the main project repo or the guid for the contributor's fork?  Its
important that it reference the main repo in some way, since a contributor
could permanently delete his fork at any time after the pull.  Didn't quite
follow your logic there.

I like the idea of having github link directly from the commit log to the
committed document if that really works the way you envision and pulls up
the whole changeset which license and code together.  But since that relies
in part on behavior of githib -- not just git itself -- the design may be
brittle to changes in githib.  Even if githib does not change, you're
locked into githib.  I doubt github is going away (a $100MM in VC should
last at least a few months even in the valley) and git itself isn't going
anywhere.  So the worst-case scenario would be that contributions might be
put on hold when you have to adapt to changes at github (all the more
reason to make github aware of the need) or you migrate to another
git-based provider.

Kyle