[antlr-interest] Stripping actions and tree commands out of a grammar

Kyle Ferrio kferrio at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 13:55:20 PDT 2012

Sure!  Have a look at this:

http://www.antlr.org/wiki/display/ANTLR4/Home

Things to look for -- in addition to the ability to keep grammars
action-free if you want to -- include the ability to handle direct
left-recursion (great for parsing algebraic expressions, propositional
calculi, *etc.*), decisively favoring parse trees over ASTs, and a
simple-yet-powerful listener model for processing trees.  Oh, and the
biggest thing of all -- Honey Badger (the code name for v4) is very robust
and will gobble up just about any grammar you give it.  If there's a
reasonable way to understand your grammar, Honey Badger does.

If you want to get deeper into it, Ter is hosting the work in github.  I
believe Ter's workign branch is at https://github.com/parrt/antlr4 and that
he periodically pushes to the "nominal" branch at
https://github.com/antlr/antlr4.

Kyle