[antlr-interest] Re: ACE C preprocessor by Gosling

Terence Parr parrt at jguru.com
Thu May 30 10:16:36 PDT 2002

On Thursday, May 30, 2002, at 02:10  AM, Bogdan Mitu wrote:

> --- Terence Parr <parrt at jguru.com> wrote:
>
>> Very secret stuff ;)  Just trying to solve that last nasty problem of
>> the "emitter".  You have a tree, but how the devil to you generate
>> output without a million print statements.  I think I have a nice
>> "output grammar" idea that is the inverse of the input grammar.  The
>> prototype of this output template stuff is currently generating HTML
>> pages on jGuru ;)
>
> Does this means that if write a translator from language A to language
> B, we
> also have the translator from B to A, just inverting the grammars?
> That's
> really great.

Well, not exactly...the output grammar looks like templates with holes
to stick values or refer to other templates...er...rules. ;)

> Is ANTLR 3.0 going to be AST-based? This will allow more people to
> contribute, the current code is a bit entangled ...

It's funny how polite people.  Current code stinks; well, the output
stuff does for sure ;)  I meant to do it well given my time constraints,
but my halfway solution ended up sucking.  The next release will use
output grammars to generate whatever language you want or that is are
willing to support.

> Looking forward for your new stuff,

Me too :)

Ter