[antlr-interest] GCJ

Robert Colquhoun rjc at trump.net.au
Fri Jul 11 07:40:47 PDT 2003

At 04:00 PM 11/07/2003 +0200, Ric Klaren wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 11:47:49PM +1000, Robert Colquhoun wrote:
> > I need to fix the patch up first, gjc complained about some synchronization
> > in the antlr.collections.impl classes, i went overboard and removed the
> > Vector and Stack classes and replaced with java.util versions...
>
>Think those existed for some older java version not sure. But I still look
>forward to a patch.

I will break that patch out separately anyway the synchronization stuff in
collections.impl is only a warning.  It still compiles.

> > You pay quite a size penalty with the  gcj version - 2.6mb and you also
> > might need to ship gcj.so which weighs in around 6mb.....compared to
> > shipping 360k for antlr.jar and the 5mb java 1.3 runtime.
>
>That's a stripped binary?

Stripped is 1.64mb

>If I make a redhat 9 rpm I hope it can use the
>redhat installed gcj.so, probably it's also possible to compile it
>staticaly (or only do gcj.so statically). And what's 2.6 Mb nowadays ;)
>Advantage of using gcj is that it comes default nowadays with most linux
>distributions, this unlike java for which you have to dig around first.
>Also no classpath trouble. No trouble in figuring out you'd have to run
>antlr.Tool etc. It would also open the opportunity for distributions to
>ship antlr with/in place of pccts.

Yes, shipping pccts is not real good.

Be careful wanting linux distributions to ship your software - its a double
edged sword.  Half the time they end up distributing an ancient version of
your software usually with their own custom patches which break all sorts
of things.  Of course *you* end up having to support this as 99% of people
who use the linux distribution refuse to pay for it and thus get no support
from the vendor.   ;-)

  - Robert