[antlr-interest] Re: StringTemplate enhancement question

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Tue Jun 22 14:59:38 PDT 2004

On Jun 22, 2004, at 2:48 PM, birmanstefan wrote:

>  C inside
>> An interesting alternative.  I think that the "tokens.name,type" is
>> faster to type though ;)
>   I was thinking of a more general case when "tokens", "name", "type",
> "Ter", "342" don't come as explicit strings, but as variables eg
> varTokens, varName, varType... Then I would :
>    st.setAttributes(varTokens + "." + varName + "," + varType+...,
>                     new Object[]{varValName, varValType});
> and then you would have to split it. This is the reason behind the
> proposal. Most of the time probably the user would use "tokens.name,
> type".

Oh, I get it now.  Yeah, that would be a hassle, but as you say the
normal case would be just the static strings as you know what variable
is reference within the template.

>> I'm guessing that it won't cost much in code/time to interpret the
>> attribute name.  Perhaps I should make it more obvious though like
>> "tokens.{name,type}".
>   This is ok, although I do not complain of "tokens.name,type".

Yes, this one is terse, but the {...} makes it very clear what you are
trying to do.  I'm also worried that people may have used a.b as
attribute names!  Should be illegal, but I don't check for it.  Not
sure if it's decidable.

Ter
Cofounder, http://www.jguru.com
Cofounder, http://www.peerscope.com pure link sharing