[antlr-interest] Re: stuff I don't like about ANTLR 2.x

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Sun Mar 14 14:48:46 PST 2004

On Mar 14, 2004, at 1:59 PM, lgcraymer wrote:
> You just don't understand (said in a tone of absolute innocence).  C++
> _was_ a portable language--and then they "standardized" it.  The

<snicker>

> problem is that the standards committee re-invented the
> language--standard C++ depends heavily on templates--rather than
> standardizing and tweaking common practice.
>
> But, "don't worry, be happy".  Java generics are coming!  I sure hope

Ewwww.  I'm not sure I like the idea.  Like the concept (even in C++)
but I don't like what it does to my language :)

> that Sun has learned from the C++ lessons and devised some sort of
> reflection support so that debuggers behave decently.

It shall be better, but the boxing / unboxing stuff will cause some
trouble...over private email, somebody just sent me an example where a
hashtable<string,string> gets messed up because table.put(1,3) converts
the ints to Integers and doesn't complain.

Anyhoo...not sure I like the complexity :)

Ter