[antlr-interest] BENCHMARK. ANTLR. Bad results.

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Nov 12 18:02:38 PST 2004

On 11/13/04 1:55 AM, "Paul J. Lucas" <pauljlucas at mac.com> wrote:

>> Have you ever open the object of std::string In the debugger.
>> For different vendors this class have 2-3 levels of construction.
>
> And most of this is inlined.  When you single-step in a
> debugger, it goes to the original source line.  In reality,
> most of the construction is inlined and optimized away.

Here can be deep discussion, starting from

1) that exists opinion that deep inlining is devil for CPU caching.

2) finishing that I mean not inlining but structure of std::string object
itself. It have indirect pointers. Few levels. Each indirect pointer slow
down performance. By my tests in general in 3 times.

We need simplest class with just 2 direct pointer.
I think even ref counting is not needed.

--
Best regards,
e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com
web: http://www.paradigmasoft.com