[antlr-interest] BENCHMARK. ANTLR. Bad results.

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Nov 12 18:28:55 PST 2004

On 11/13/04 2:20 AM, "Braden McDaniel" <braden at endoframe.com> wrote:

>> And then the problem is right back again: if ANTLR used
>> std::string internally (or any string) and it converts to char*
>> and if you use some string class, your object ("str" above) has
>> to construct itself -- performance hit.  Now if ANTLR returned
>> std::string by reference and you did the assigment above, it's a
>> simple pointer copy.
>
> The typical std::string implementation is unlikely to be ideal from an
> efficiency perspective. That's not its role; its role is to be adequate.
> The performance characteristics required of a string class are
> sufficiently application specific that "one size fits most" is probably
> the best the C++ standard library will ever provide.
>
> There's no question that ANTLR could provide a better one. The only
> question is whether std::string tends to be enough of a performance
> bottleneck to make it worth the effort.

I am used to think in this way:

    in ideal system cannot be not ideal parts.
    each part must be ideal.
    right?  :-)

The idea of late optimization is good for GUI-apps for exmaple.

A DBMS, and such tool as ANTLR, which can execute some part of code
millions of times MUST BE ideal.

    1000 seconds == 15 minutes
    == on modern hardware == far far away from ideal    :^)

--
Best regards,
e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com
web: http://www.paradigmasoft.com