[antlr-interest] Return value warning?

codeteacher codeteacher at toughguy.net
Tue Oct 5 15:48:40 PDT 2004

Hi all,

I've got the following rule:

positiveNumeric returns [String value] :
	( i:NUM_INT {value = i.getText();}
	| f:NUM_FLOAT {value = f.getText();} );

But ANTLR gave me this warning:
warning:Rule 'positiveNumeric' returns a value

I thought that "returns" is indeed a keyword and is fully supported by
ANTLR. I looked at the generated code and it seemed okay. Is it that
return values in grammar rules are discouraged in ANTLR? If not, how
can I suppress this message? Or did I do something wrong?

Thanks a lot.