[antlr-interest] DFA's encoded directly in java bytecodes

Martin Probst mail at martin-probst.com
Tue Oct 26 06:16:36 PDT 2004

Hi Terence,

yes, ragnaroek is something like doom. I just used the term because I've
tended to use this construction (break to label) as a faster alternative
to throwing an exception in case something goes wrong within a nested loop
;-)

> As I say though I wondered about breaks at first, but then decided that
> bytecodes were the only general way to get the gotos.  I do have a nice
> little assembler and class file writer now for ANTLR that, while not
> completely general, it's damn small.  Assembler and .class file writer
> are each about 600 lines.  Could be useful for users of antlr as well
> as the tool itself.

Indeed breaks can only jump backwards in code, though they are not bound
to loops. If your tool fits ANTLRs needs everything's fine and I'm looking
forward to ANTLR 3!

mfg
Martin