[antlr-interest] Anyone built the example C grammar successfully?

John D. Mitchell johnm-antlr at non.net
Tue May 24 12:45:41 PDT 2005

[...]

> I'm off on holiday for 2 weeks on Thursday, and I think I'm rapidly
> running up against the law of diminishing returns here (I don't actually
> need Java at all in my app; I was just hoping to do a sanity check before
> converting your grammar to C++. I can tell you, I'm going to be *really*
> grateful to dump the various Java compilers/VMs/assorted bits I've
> downloaded over the last couple of weeks).

Is there some particular reason you need to switch to C++?

Basically, as Antlr v3 fleshes out, I'm going to be redoing the C grammar
in that.

> And, I mean this in the nicest possible way, but I've already tried 3
> compilers (and failed to build a fourth, as well as failing to download a
> fifth, and installed a new OS along the way), so I can't immediately see
> that trying a sixth is going to bring anything to the party. If it works
> with javac 1.4 then I'm not sure that we've actually learnt anything. I
> just needed a sanity check to make sure that I wasn't being stupid.

Sure we (will) have.  Java v1.5 has a lot of little nasty corners where
things have change and GCJ is still a fair ways away from completeness.
Sun's JDK is the benchmark against which any such work should be checked
and the current stable, production quality is the latest Sun JDK v1.4.2_0x
release.

Take care,
	John