[antlr-interest] Re: Antlr Studio is cool.

Ahmed Mohombe amohombe at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 21 07:02:17 PDT 2005

> As far as I recall, Prashant never said it would be free. The "video-only"
> previews were just to demonstrate what he was doing and gauge interest.
This was the impression letted to me and to many others I talked to.

> RE "testing a commercial product", have you never heard of public betas?
> Many many many commercial products have public betas, and some even ask that
> you pay to participate (the M$ office betas, for example).
Who said thy can serve as a model. They have a monopol situation and can impose everything,
and who has enough free time might will play with.

> Absolutely nothing wrong with this, so please chill...
Just because it's legal, it doesn't mean it's moral or fair. Don't get me wrong, I'm talking
about M$ :). I really dislike this kind of 'tactics' also when others try to copy them :).

> Prashant has chatted with me about price possibilities, and he's looking to
> keep it inexpensive.
Well, than this explains why you don't have the impression that it would be free :).
Everyone else thought this.

> I told him it's a very niche market and that he may not
> sell many unless the price is very low, and even then he probably wouldn't
> sell many.
I also told him this when he made the annoucement on his blog.

> I think you should view it more as a "payware" tool than a commercial
> product (as he's not doing this as a business).
On his blog he stated exactly the contrary.

Ahmed.