[antlr-interest] Re: Antlr Studio is cool.

Kay Roepke kroepke at dolphin-services.de
Wed Sep 21 07:22:56 PDT 2005

On 21. Sep 2005, at 16:02 Uhr, Ahmed Mohombe wrote:

>> Prashant has chatted with me about price possibilities, and he's
>> looking to
>> keep it inexpensive.
>>
> Well, than this explains why you don't have the impression that it
> would be free :).
> Everyone else thought this.
>

>> I told him it's a very niche market and that he may not
>> sell many unless the price is very low, and even then he probably
>> wouldn't
>> sell many.
>>
> I also told him this when he made the annoucement on his blog.
>

>> I think you should view it more as a "payware" tool than a commercial
>> product (as he's not doing this as a business).
>>
> On his blog he stated exactly the contrary.

I don't understand the fuss. If Prashant has the feeling he want to
sell his work rather than give it away for
free, then that is his decision, isn't it?
After all, developing software is quite a bit of work - and if it
works well, and helps me to get my job done
more quickly with less hassle, then why shouldn't I pay for it?
IMHO that is one downside of all this opensource hype - there's no
moral obligation to give away your
work for free at all. That's precisely the reason that a lot of
people don't like the GPL, for that matter.

But I digress...:-)

Kay