[antlr-interest] ANTLR 3 and StringTemplate

Micheal J open.zone at virgin.net
Mon Jul 24 11:46:34 PDT 2006

Kay, Soctt,

> You could do a C++ port of StringTemplate, instead of doing yet-
> another-template-thingy ;)
> For the far future, I plan to do an Objective-C port of ST for ANTLR
> as well as for standalone use.
> I don't know if anyone else plans to do a port to another C-based
> language, but it'd be nice to have.
> But if you are ready
> to make that investment it would really be more feasible to do a C++
> port. Most of the stuff should be easy to port especially
> given that ST uses ANTLR 2 for its grammars (for which you already
> have a C++ version :))

Just thinking out loud...sounds like cooperating on a C port of ST could be
a win-win for both of you. Objective-C has no issues interfacing with C
libraries afaict.

C programs are _technically_ valid C++ and ObjC programs so, you could use
the library as is or, you could develop a tiny wrapper to implement a native
C++ or ObjC interface.

ANTLR V3 already has a C codegen so you don't have to use V2 for you ST
port.

Micheal