[antlr-interest] 3.0 Tool

Thomas Brandon tbrandonau at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 10:33:43 PDT 2006

Ter,
I knocked up a quick Eclipse builder for Antlr 3 grammars and while I found
it all very nice I had a couple of minor requests.

1) I capture errors for display in Eclipse, and while this was wonderfully
easy with the error listener I ended up writing a regex to seperate the line
and file info from the message for display in Eclipse. Am I missing a better
way to do this and if not could it be added. Currently the templates add in
the line info automatically, perhaps an alternate template (or parameter)
could be supplied that didn't include this. And also if line information
could be provided in the Message object (or a LinedMessage subclass) that
would alleviate the need to specifically deal with all error types just to
pull out line info.
2) I was wondering if you could consider trying to optimise the Antlr tool
for an IDE environment when you port it to 3.0. Specifically, it would be
nice if as much of the Tool as possible could be reused for multiple
compilation runs. Also,  This looks like it would require little more than a
bit of refactoring of the tool methods but would avoid the need to duplicate
Antlr code.
3) If there was a GetInputFile method similar to the GetOutputFile method
then IDEs could avoid the need to access the grammar through a file path.

Thanks,
Tom.