[antlr-interest] working with different dialects

Peggy Fieland madcapmaggie at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 8 07:53:46 PDT 2006

Tim,

There are several approaches:

Write a general cobol parser and clone it.

Pass a parameter into the parser specifiying which
dialect you are parsing, then use it in the grammar.

Write a parser that does all of them if they are
similar enough.

Subclasses.

I support a number of  dialects of SQL from various
vendors and I've got a parser for each one.  The
dialects within the vendors are handled in the
individual parsers.  The treewalker (handwritten) is a
template instantiated for each parser.

Peggy