[antlr-interest] How to call self-build ANTLR correctly?

Johannes Luber jaluber at gmx.de
Tue Jul 3 14:56:41 PDT 2007

Randall R Schulz wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 July 2007 14:16, Johannes Luber wrote:
>>
>> D:\>java -cp "D:\Install
>> Files\ANTLR\antlr-source\bin\org\antlr\runtime" -cp "D:\Install
>> Files\ANTLR\antlr-source\bin" -cp "D:\Install
>> Files\ANTLR\antlr-3.0\lib\antlr-2.7.7.jar" -cp "D:\Install
>> Files\ANTLR\antlr-3.0\lib\stringtemplate-3.0.jar" org.antlr.Tool
>
> You don't repeat the -cp argument, you include all the directories or
> JAR files in a single -cp option, separating each by a semicolon.

I tried it without the additional -cps, but still no progress. The
defined CLASSPATH environment could still be the actual culprit.

Addendum: I've incorporated Micheal's idea:

D:\>java -cp "D:\Install
Files\ANTLR\antlr-3.0\lib\antlr-3.0.0.jar;D:\Install
Files\ANTLR\antlr-3.0\lib\antlr-2.7.7.jar;D:\Install
Files\ANTLR\antlr-3.0\lib\stringtemplate-3.0.jar";"D:\Install
Files\ANTLR\antlr-source\src" org.antlr.Tool

No change.

> It seems like you're kind of a neophyte at all this. Perhaps some Java
> tutorials are in order before you try something like rebuilding a
> large, sophisticated piece of software.

Not really, but I haven't used Java with additional classpath stuff that
much, so I tend to forget how the details work exactly. Otherwise I
usually work in C#, so my expertise is clearly more in the .NET
environment. I don't like Java personally - Sun made design decisions, I
don't like (and I've forgotten - probably because I repressed them).
Incidentally, C# took C++ in the right direction - and I noticed this
unfortunately a few years later than I could have. (So don't put me
please into the Microsoft fanboy category - the only good thing they did
in the last few years was .NET et al. And that is a personal opinion -
so no flame wars about Java vs. C#, please!)

> Why are you rebuilding it, anyway? Did you make some modifications?

I only want to have an up-to-date C#-Target, so I

A) can see, which code generation errors have been solved and don't have
to manually corrected by me afterwards - again and again.

B) don't have to wait for a daily build. Terence hasn't published one
over three weeks.

Best regards,
Johannes Luber