[antlr-interest] (newbie problem) rewrite rule question

Randall R Schulz rschulz at sonic.net
Tue Jul 10 19:36:28 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 10 July 2007 19:01, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I am so sorry. But I have used ANTLRWorks from the beginning as I
> had some problems with classpaths. So did not use the antlr directly.
> In ANTLRWorks, I have entered the "localhost" and port 49153 and
> clicked ok(in remote option). However it does not connect. It
> produces the same error. Could you give me some advice as to how
> remedy the problem using antlworks?

I'm really not sure what the problem might be, since I've never
experienced this symptom, myself.

In my (limited) experience, all that is required is that you give
the "-debug" option to ANTLR when you build your parser from your
grammer. Then, when you invoke that parser, it will wait for a
connection from the debugger on the usual port (I don't know, offhand,
how to alter the default, 49153).

There is one thing: While the parser seems to have an unlimited timeout
(which is to say, I've never encountered a timeout), ANTLRWorks most
certainly _does_ have a timeout (configurable via the "Debug" tab of
the preferences dialog—if I recall, the default is 10 seconds), so if
you issue the "Debug remote..." command and wait longer than its
timeout before launching the parser, it will give up and alert you that
it failed to connect.

>   Very much appreciated
>
>   Al

Randall Schulz