[antlr-interest] Understanding priorities in lexing (newbie)

Kay Roepke kroepke at classdump.org
Fri Jul 13 16:45:25 PDT 2007

On Jul 14, 2007, at 1:29 AM, Gavin Lambert wrote:

> At 21:48 13/07/2007, Kay Roepke wrote:
> >Once we have the ANTLR grammar ported to v3 I'll start working
> >on an editor, too. ANTLRWorks is cool, I love it, but I really
> >really do not like Java desktop apps, esp. on the Mac.
>
> Would it be more palatable if you could change the look&feel so it
> *looks* like a Mac app?

Well, I don't care about the looks so much, as long as it's behaving
itself. This is not my issue with ANTLRWorks at all.
I think its interface is very usable, kudos to pull this off with
Swing, Jean!

> Because (at least if it's using Swing) there's a bunch of classes
> in com.sun.java.swing.plaf.* that can be selected between to change
> the appearance of a Java app.  Not sure if they have one for Mac,
> though, but I would presume so.

It already uses the Mac user interface elements, so it's not the
look. Rather it's Java. I constantly have the impression that it is
sluggish, and that's probably nothing Jean can fix. IntelliJ IDEA is
a very good app, too, but it's sluggish also. I've been doing a lot
of Java lately, and as my preferred type of computer is a Mac I use
that. But I have seriously considered booting Windows to do Java
coding, just to get the better Java support (since Sun long stopped
providing a JVM implementation, dropping everything on Apple).

That's the only reason I want to have a Mac-native ANTLR editor. It's
not the features, it's not the UI, it's the Java. I know why it's
important to have ANTLRWorks as a Swing-Java app, really there's no
way around that, considering Jean is the sole author (AFAIK). But on
a decent machine with 3 gigs of RAM, it should be blindingly fast. It
isn't, I can tell you, esp. if I have my "normal" work environment
open, i.e. browsers, lots of terminal windows, IntelliJ, ANTLRWorks
and all the other thingies I need. The memory footprint is probably
the culprit. Whatever. I like the tool, but want to have an
alternative. In the spirit of opensource: This is a user option. The
user wants it, he writes it.

cheers,
-k
--