[antlr-interest] C# Target Poll

Johannes Luber JALuber at gmx.de
Mon May 19 10:05:13 PDT 2008

> Hi,
>
> >  >It's just that I don't like the current naming from an
> > aesthically  >point of view. We have
> > Antlr3.Runtime/Antlr.Runtime, etc. It is  >this repetition
> > that irks me.
> >
> > The grouping makes a certain amount of sense; one refers to
> > the assembly and the other to the namespaces within that
> > assembly.  Though it's not entirely consistent, since the
> > Antlr3.Runtime.Tests assembly has all its files in the
> > assembly-folder, not in a namespace-named folder.
>
> Would I be chasing a foolish consistency by fixing that now?

Consistency isn't foolish. Even if this isn't fixed now I'll reorder them when doing the split for the runtimes.
> > And on a related topic, it puzzled me a bit when I had to
> > reference "Antlr3.Runtime.dll" and then use the namespace
> > "Antlr.Runtime" in the code.  There's a bit of a disconnect
> > there; generally the assembly names tend to match the root
> > namespace name (either in full or squashed form).
>
> If you use ST-integration in your grammars you will need
> - StringTemplate.dll  (ST#)
> - antlr.runtime.dll   (an ST# dependency)
> - Antlr3.Runtime.dll  (renamed to avoid conflict & brilliantly avoids
> clashing with Antlr4.Runtime.dll!)

What is the Antlr3.Utilities used for?

> Could have renamed the namespaces too I guess but, we thought it better to
> leave (most other targets use antlr not antlr3)...
>
> Micheal

Well, this time you shouldn't have followed the majority. The problem is that Antlr4.Runtime.dll can't be used in concurrency with Antlr3.Runtime.dll due to namespace clashes. Well, users can use assembly aliases to solve that problem but it could be done without user interaction. And yes, I truly believe that someday ANLTR 3 and ANTLR 4 end up being used together in some project.

Johannes