[antlr-interest] [stringtemplate-interest] StringTemplate editing in Visual Studio

Gavin Lambert antlr at mirality.co.nz
Tue Oct 21 12:13:51 PDT 2008

[I would CC this to stringtemplate-interest as well, but I'm not
subscribed so I can't.]

At 06:12 22/10/2008, Johannes Luber wrote:
 >Just that I understand it correctly: VS 2005 users can merely
 >compile the runtime on the command line despite using C# 3
 >features? Can they jump into the source code files while
 >debugging? Is it possible to use 2.0 as the compile target
 >for users of .NET 2 and the ones of .NET 3.5 at once? That
 >would simplify the maintainence.

As I understand it, if the runtime uses new *language* features
(eg. extension methods, lambdas, etc), but not new *runtime*
features (like LINQ, WPF, etc), then the precompiled binary will
work on a machine that only has .NET 2, but it won't be able to be
recompiled.

To be compilable, the dev will have to at minimum install .NET 3.5
on their own machine and use the C# command line compiler that
comes with the framework; again, if no runtime features are used
then it will still be compatible with the .NET 2.0 runtime and
won't increase the deployment requirement.  (Assuming the project
specifies 2.0 as the minimum runtime.)

If runtime features like LINQ are used, then while the application
using the library can still be 2.0-only, it will need to ensure
that .NET 3.5 is installed on the target machine.