[antlr-interest] multilingual IDE

Johannes Luber jaluber at gmx.de
Sat Sep 6 09:07:36 PDT 2008

Edwards, Waverly schrieb:
> I had been wondering about this for days and when I researched the subject
> I could not find a single instance of someone programming in anything other
> than English.  I have in the past seen some instances where someon used
> French and Italian but I dont recall if that was just in the comments.

I have seen one program, which used English, German and Spanish at once.
No, at least one programmer didn't speak Spanish so he had some problems
with understanding the code. Doing things internationally doesn't mean
that everyone programs with his own mother language. Also I believe you
aren't finding examples because you don't search right. Use
"filetype:ext" with a non-English word used in programs - a simple
translation like user into the German Benutzer got me these atrocities:

<http://martinprivcvs.spueler.net/*checkout*/swt/blatt10/TVS/Termin.java?rev=HEAD&logsort=rev&sortby=rev&only_with_tag=HEAD&content-type=text/plain>
<http://www.java-forum.org/de/viewtopic.php?download=-1&t=65520>

> One of the things I really thought about were strings.  If you wanted to
> display
> a string in Chinese what would you do if your editor only accepted ascii
> input?

I'm pretty sure that there solutions for that, including using another
editor. As I don't use Chinese myself I am not familiar with the
possibilities, so I suggest to ask on a bigger forum which
Chinese/Japanese/etc. frequent. Ruby's creator is Asian, so you could
ask on their mailing list.

> Thank you very much for your response,

Your welcome.

Johannes