[antlr-interest] Re: Exceptions in C# backend

steve hurt steven.f.hurt at lmco.com
Tue Dec 17 13:06:43 PST 2002

"micheal_jor " wrote:

> Hi Steven,
>
> > Micheal;
> >
> > We have tried every release available for download on the ANTLR
> site (related to
> > c#) before we sent out the original message.
>
> Very odd. The 'calc' example is a tested example, but you are saying
> it doesn't work on 2.7.2a2 and 2.7.2a4?. I should mention that the
> NAnt build files aren't always reliable. Can you build the "antlr.net-
> 2.7.2a4.sln" solution?. It includes the most tested example - "java"

If you are referring to the solution file under lib\csharp it won't build on any
system we have. That was a major concern that we might have a bad system
configuration or install. In the version we downloaded there are no errors in
the unzip process. In the panel under JavaParser items like the JavaLexer.cs,
TokenTypes etc are all incorrect. So we have tried building just the runtime
portion to see if we have a versioning issue. When we do that we get System.Byte
is not defined or imported. We thought about combining files that are missing
from other version but that gets to be problematic even if it works.

We have had no problems compiling and running sample code from the net or books
so it's not an obvious issue.

> > What we did find is that 2.7.2a4 builds fine with nant but not VS.
> so there may
> > be some issues lurking in the various baselines.
>
> OK. Now I know that your experiences are exceptional and very odd
> indeed. Both ANTLR/C# versions 2.7.2a2 and 2.7.2a4 are tested with
> VS.NET and Nant on .NET v1.0 Steven. We have built ANTLR/C# using the
> actual files on the website.

I agree thats why we used one system running downloaded MSDN components and
another with components from the product CD's (e.g. no association to MSDN).
These aren't even in the same location and different engineers doing the build
with the same results.

> I would suggest looking again at your VS.NET installation/environment
> but, I don't really know what you should be looking out for. Have you
> tried deleting the bin and obj sub-directories under the lib/csharp
> directory and doing a full rebuild again.

See above. I have also been looking at all of the net tools and nothing this
ugly seems to stick out.

> > Unless someone else can see an obvious problem we will attempt to
> dig into the
> > issue using a different methodology but I wanted to cover as many
> of the simple
> > errors as possible before doing that.
>
> Well, I've put down a to-do to re-check and update the NAnt files for
> the supported examples for the 2.7.2a6 release too.
>
> Micheal
>
> PS    What kind of projects do you use ANTLR for?

I have multiple tools that were all in Java for building analysis tools, source
and runtime, source to source translation and a few other concepts.

> PPS   What system produced the output messages included with your
> forgot to ask in my reply  ;-)

We have identical results on a gateway laptop and another running on IBM
Netvista P4's. The netvista is brand new the gateway is a couple of years old.
Both have all of the service packs (as best we can tell with MS) installed both
are running windows 2000.

I agree that this feels like a user Net configuration problem but the chances of
two machines having identical issues has it's own challenge.